Support the Campaign
Jon Shenk’s The Island President tells the story of President Mohamed Nasheed of the Maldives, a man confronting a problem greater than any other world leader has ever faced—the literal survival of his country and everyone in it. However in February Nasheed was forced to resign in a coup. The country now faces a democracy crisis in addition to the looming threat from climate change
The more people see it, the more the people of the Maldives will know that the world hasn’t walked away. So please see it; and take your friends. It may feel like you’re enjoying yourself, but you’ll actually be doing so much more.
The film is out now in US, UK and Irish cinemas and you can help the campain, and support Nasheed is a number of ways:
- Go see the film this weekend, or on one of the nationwide screenings being held on 3rd April – find your local screening here
- Share the link to screenings with your friends online on social media and follow the films updates on Facebook and Twitter
- Sign the petition at 350.org to let our political leaders know of your concern about the coup and the current Maldives situation
- Join the 10:10 campaign and help tackle climate change
- Visit the US website for more information and to find international screenings
The Guardian’s Peter Bradshaw gave the film 4 Stars:
His little nation is a microcosm of the whole endangered world. Could Nasheed be the political Prospero to save the island – and the planet?
Contact the film’s distributor Dogwoof here if you are an organisation wanting to help